Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Macroinformation Update

Review: My thinking on complex information (art, politics, religion ...) commenced in the early 1960s while in graduate school. I left it on a back burner while I tried (and failed) to communicate my reading of Shakespeare's sonnets as complex meta-information to my graduate faculty. I kept it on that back burner through the 1970s as I tried, with Ivan Illich, to recommend cybernetic data basing to replace authoritarian information structures: no (dictatorial) school, no (dictatorial) government (no (dictatorial) Church); just public-volunteered information (while we all learn to mind our own business).

My thinking on complex information moved forward on my stove in the late 1990s when Entropy Magazine asked me to submit my notes on Ilya Prigogine, science, and "certainty" for peer-reviewed publication. I responded that Certainty would take me a while to prepare, but that I could knock out a theory of complex information over the weekend: would he consider that in the meantime? (Since then, now, see: Macroinformation in Brief.)

(I'll post those Prigogine notes here: they had been at Knatz.com, but Knatz.com got scuttled by the fed.)

In the late 1990s the first materials I assembled on the subject got posted in the "Teaching/Scholarship section of my home page. That section became a separate folder when my home page moved from my local ISP to a "Knatz.com" folder at my online art gallery (PKImaging.com, all pk domains destroyed in 2007). Later that section inherited its own domain: Macroinformation.org. All that was trashed by the US in the United States versus Paul Knatz, February 2007. Ah, but I'd also started this Macroinformation blog: and the federal proscription didn't reach my several blogspot.com blogs!

Now, if the parole office will leave me in peace, I'll try to recreated all "Knatz.com materials at these several blogs. An similar attempt to restore my Thinking Tools recently failed. I'll try that again: and I'll try to put all information theory materials here.

(Anyone who bought online storage and invited me to recreate Knatz.com would get points in heaven (anyone who doesn't will have to remain here in hell).)

No comments: