Thursday, March 05, 2009

Existence0

A moment ago I posted a comment that my numbering system here is based on Bateson's LearningN distinctions. He started his series with zero, so do I. Except that his Learning0 referred to learning as expressed by evolution in the species: the insect knows how to grow its leg, how to move its wings; the insect does not learn how to turn its nest into a duplex with a reinforced concrete terrace. There I differ in trying to adumbrate cosmological fundamentals. Thus my Information0 is not data, but the possibility of data.

In the midst of posting my series on InformationN it occurs to me to make an analogous series for Bateson's Pleroma / Creatura distinction, which I extend to the subset Sentiens and beyond.

Here I do start with zero, but make Bateson's Pleroma, the actual physical universe, Existence1. Existence0 I reserve for Ur-Existence: the possibility of Existence: the state in which a Singularity can occur. Perhaps that's Time.

Yes: I'll make that, perhaps temporarily, a "decision." Time is Existence0. Space coming into being, Pleroma, is Existence1. And Creatura is Existence2, Sentiens Existence3 ... Persona Existence4, Pathologica Existence5

Once again, what we say is map, not territory: except of course that all we say is in the "territory" of "maps"! Thus, we live by our models of the world. I revise my models the best I can: and offer my revisions for your consideration.

"god" "offers" us "salvation": survival; god does not force us to accept it.



Now, 2009 03 12, I notice a drawing of the concept I'd done at least by 2004.

pk concept drawing

So my "decision" isn't new after all. Beats your work to hell when you get arrested in the middle of it.

No comments: