Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Emergence

Mitchell Resnick's programming and teaching with his Star Logo should help us shrug off some of our centralist assumptions. It's hard enough to see that a flock of birds is self-organized, that there is no leader, that there is no need for an instruction such as "fly in a V" in a bird's genes. Resnick suggests that instructions as simple as 1) "Fly close to another bird" 2) "Don't bump into it" might do.
I look forward to weaving related thoughts into Mi.org modules new and old.

One thing I expect to emphasize: all of the work helpful to my conception of macroinformation, especially of macroinformation as emergent from but not IN the data, comes from science. My own discipline of English has been utterly useless. No wonder my peers seldom had a clue what I was talking about: they'll generally illiterate in science.

No comments: